Head of Strategic Litigation (3042)
- Closing Date:24 October 2021
- Directorate:Research, Advocacy and Policy
- Location:Colombo , Dakar, Johannesburg, London, Tunis
- Type:Fixed Term Contract
- How many months is FTC or end date of FTC:4 years
- Working Hours:35
Location – The role could be based in either Colombo, Dakar, Johannesburg, London or Tunis. Salary and benefits will vary depending on the Amnesty IS salary scale for the country.
This role is on a four year fixed term contract with a possibility of renewal.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Are you an expert on using strategic litigation to achieve systemic change to law and policies and to people's lives? Could you support and inspire people in a global human rights movement to know when and how to use litigation to enhance research and campaigning?
As Head of Amnesty's strategic litigation, you will:
- Lead our global Movement's strategic human rights litigation efforts, contributing to our human rights impact through a range of interventions that include taking up or being party to human rights court cases, or being a friend of the court.
- Be the Amnesty go-to person for the conceptualization, development, and execution of Amnesty International's strategic litigation vision and operational plan.
- Directly carry out litigation efforts – including conducting trial advocacy – in international, regional and domestic forums.
- Grow and help instruct an extensive international network of independent lawyers that contribute pro-bono support to our Movement, when they advance human rights through Amnesty International litigation in their jurisdictions.
- Curate and enhance effective strategic litigation management quality assurance, peer review and information system, organising and ensuring access to high-quality internal and external legal information resources, including laws, rules of procedure and evidence, relevant rules of ethics, and legal precedents.
- Help motivate, mobilise, and technically equip national Sections, structures and offices the world over, from the Americas to the Asia-Pacific, to include and optimise the use of strategic litigation as a key tool that builds upon and supplements our research and campaigning by our ten-million-strong Movement.
You will be part of the Management Team of the International Secretariat of Amnesty International.
You have considerable experience in legal practice. You have deep familiarity with litigation strategy generally, and in particular for human rights impact: you have conceptualised and led opportunities to achieve human rights change through litigation; you have marshalled and considered numerous pleadings. Your premier drafting stills are traceable in major pleadings and legal communications and judgements. You enjoy current admission to practice as an attorney in at least one jurisdiction. You have experience of using strategic litigation in combination with advocacy or campaigning by your organization or in partnership with others and a vision for developing coalitions that will monitor and press for the full implementations of successful decisions. Your experience includes both domestic and international courts/treaty bodies. You have an advanced degree in law, or equivalent professional experience and well-developed knowledge of international human rights law. You are a leader, with management experience, who believes in and practices collaborative working and a consultative management style, whilst demonstrating vision and creativity as well as intellectual rigour. You have a demonstrable personal commitment to subverting patriarchy, power differentials and marginalisation. You have experience (or at least a strong interest) in providing active support and training on litigation skills and case management to others.
Amnesty International is a global movement of more than 10 million people who campaign for a world where human rights are enjoyed by all. We reach almost every country in the world.
Our aim is simple: an end to human rights abuses. Independent, international and influential, we campaign for justice, fairness, freedom and truth wherever they're denied. And whether we're applying pressure through powerful research or direct lobbying, mass demonstrations or online campaigning, we're all inspired by hope for a better world. One where human rights are respected and protected by everyone, everywhere.
At Amnesty International, we are passionate about what we do and we are proud of our achievements as a movement. To compensate our employees for the critical work they do, we reward them through a combination of an attractive and sector competitive salary and benefits package, high levels of engagement and involvement, and a commitment to employee development.
Benefits include 37 days annual leave (inclusive of public holidays and grace days), pension scheme, employee assistance programme, life assurance and many more benefits designed to suit your own personal lifestyle. All of this, in a professional, engaging environment.
For further information on our benefits, please visit https://www.amnesty.org/en/careers/benefits/
WHAT WE HOPE YOU WILL DO NEXT
If you are talented, passionate about human rights and want to use your skills, knowledge and experience to change the world then we would encourage you to click ‘Apply for this Role' below.
Freedom, Justice, Equality. Let's get to work.
N.B. We reserve the right to close a vacancy before the closing date in the event of an overwhelming response or a change in business priorities.
Amnesty International is committed to creating and sustaining a working environment in which everyone has an equal opportunity to fulfill their potential and we welcome applications from suitably qualified people from all sections of the community.